Friday, April 10, 2009

Psalm 38 - What happens when you sin


THOUGHT FOR TODAY-


CONFESSION


In his book Great Themes of the Bible, Louis Albert Banks told of the time D. L. Moody visited a prison called "The Tombs" to preach to the inmates. After he had finished speaking, Moody talked with a number of men in their cells. He asked each prisoner this question, "What brought you here?" Again and again he received replies like this: "I don't deserve to be here." "I was framed." "I was falsely accused." "I was given an unfair trial." Not one inmate would admit he was guilty. Finally, Moody found a man with his face buried in his hands, weeping. "And what's wrong, my friend?" he inquired. The prisoner responded, "My sins are more than I can bear." Relieved to find at least one man who would recognize his guilt and his need of forgiveness, the evangelist exclaimed, "Thank God for that!" Moody then had the joy of pointing him to a saving knowledge of Christ -- a knowledge that released him from his shackles of sin.


(Psalms 38:18)


PSALM 38

This is the third of the Penitential Psalms (cf. Ps. 6), and it reveals WHAT HAPPENS TO YOU WHEN YOU SIN.

WHAT GOD DOES (1‑2). God loves you too much to allow you to sin and get away with it. If you disobey, He will first rebuke you and then chasten you. He will shoot His arrows from a distance or come closer and put His hand on you, but He will let you know that He is displeased.


WHAT SIN DOES (3‑10). David suffered from sickness because of his sin (Ps. 32:3‑5). He carried a heavy burden and was crushed under it. He sighed and panted and was ready to quit. Sin comes as a friend to entice you and then becomes a master to enslave you.


WHAT PEOPLE DO (11‑ 14). Sin puts a wall between you and those who can help you, but it builds a bridge between you and those who want to exploit you and hurt you.


WHAT THE SINNER MUST DO (15‑22). THE ONLY HOPE IS TO CONFESS SIN AND CRY OUT TO GOD FOR MERCY. HE PROMISES TO FORGIVE, SO CLAIM HIS PROMISE.


With the Word - Warren W. Wiersbe

Thomas Nelson Publishers

Nashville

“Used by permission of Thomas Nelson, Inc.”



FROZEN IN SIN


The story is told of an eagle perched on a block of ice just above Niagra Falls. The swift current carried the ice and its majestic passenger closer to the edge of the great precipice. The cries of other birds and animals warning the eagle of danger that lay ahead were to no avail. "I have great and powerful wings," he boasted. "I can fly from my perch at any time. I can handle it." Suddenly the edge of the falls was only a few feet away. The torrent of water rushed the block of ice over the great falls. The eagle spread his powerful wings to mount up over the impending doom only to discover too late that his claws had become frozen to the cake of ice. Do I have to say more? None of us is immune to the consequences of sin.(PSALMS 38:3)



(Psa 38 TLB) O Lord, don't punish me while you are angry! {2} Your arrows have struck deep; your blows are crushing me.


{3} BECAUSE OF YOUR ANGER, MY BODY IS SICK, MY HEALTH IS BROKEN BENEATH MY SINS. THEY ARE LIKE A FLOOD, HIGHER THAN MY HEAD; THEY ARE A BURDEN TOO HEAVY TO BEAR.


{4} {5} My wounds are festering and full of pus. Because of my sins, I am bent and racked with pain. My days are filled with anguish. {6} {7} My loins burn with inflammation, and my whole body is diseased. {8} I am exhausted and crushed; I groan in despair. {9} Lord, you know how I long for my health once more. You hear my every sigh. {10} My heart beats wildly, my strength fails, and I am going blind. {11} My loved ones and friends stay away, fearing my disease. Even my own family stands at a distance. {12} Meanwhile my enemies are trying to kill me. They plot my ruin and spend all their waking hours planning treachery. {13} But I am deaf to all their threats; I am silent before them as a man who cannot speak. I have nothing to say. {14} {15} For I am waiting for you, O Lord my God. Come and protect me. {16} Put an end to their arrogance, these who gloat when I am cast down! {17} How constantly I find myself upon the verge of sin; this source of sorrow always stares me in the face.


{18} I CONFESS MY SINS; I AM SORRY FOR WHAT I HAVE DONE.


{19} But my enemies persecute with vigor and continue to hate me--though I have done nothing against them to deserve it. {20} They repay me evil for good and hate me for standing for the right. {21} Don't leave me, Lord; don't go away! {22} Come quickly! Help me, O my Savior.