Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Psalm 30


In this song of praise (vv. 1, 4, 11‑12) DAVID EXPRESSED HIS THANKS TO GOD FOR THE CHANGES GOD SENT TO HIS LIFE.

FROM SICKNESS TO HEALTH (1‑3). God had healed David and lifted him up from the grave. His sickness had been a discipline from God because of David's pride and self‑sufficiency (vv. 6‑7). Perhaps it was in connection with the sin of numbering the people (1 Chron. 21).


FROM WEEPING TO JOY (4‑5). There is a contrast between God's momentary anger and His gift of lasting joy, between weeping and joy, and between the night and the morning. THINGS MAY SEEM DARK TO YOU NOW, BUT WAIT FOR HIS MORNING TO DAWN. HE CAN CHANGE EVERYTHING IN A HURRY!

FROM MOURNING TO SINGING (8‑12). David humbled himself before God and begged for help and mercy. When God saw that the discipline had done its work, He healed David and forgave his sins. David changed clothes, picked up his harp, and began to sing praises to the Lord.


NO MATTER HOW DARK THE NIGHT, DAWN WILL COME. NO MATTER HOW HEAVY YOUR HEART, ONE DAY THERE WILL BE A SONG. WAIT PA­TIENTLY AND TRUST THE LORD. "HIS FAVOR IS FOR LIFE" (V. 5).


With the Word - Warren W. Wiersbe

Thomas Nelson Publishers

Nashville

“Used by permission of Thomas Nelson, Inc.”



LOVE OF CHRIST FOR MAN

The other day a friend told me a little story about Paderewski, the great Polish pianist.


It seems a mother took her young son, eight or nine years old, to a concert by Paderewski because she thought the child had some musical talent and might benefit from hearing a genius play. They sat close to the stage, where the curtain was up, revealing the grand piano. Paderewski was in the wings; it wasn't quite time to start.


The mother turned to speak to an acquaintance behind her. As she did, the little boy wriggled out of his seat, ran up the steps to the stage, sat down and began to play Chopsticks" with all his might. The mother was appalled. The audience gasped as Paderewski himself strode onto the stage.


But instead of being angry the maestro smiled, sat down on the piano bench with the little boy, whispered to him to continue and then, putting both arms around the little figure began to improvise a soft but brilliant accompaniment to the childish music. He kept it up until the audience, charmed and fascinated, burst into applause.


I like to think that perhaps when we finally come into God's presence and try to explain our lives with all the faults and flaws, He will put His loving arms around us and turn our faltering notes into a triumphant song of redemption and fulfillment.


(Psalms 30:11)

¨ Ruth Stafford Peale



(Psalms 30 NIV)


Of David. I will exalt you, O LORD, for you lifted me out of the depths and did not let my enemies gloat over me. {2} O LORD my God, I called to you for help and you healed me. {3} O LORD, you brought me up from the grave ; you spared me from going down into the pit. {4} Sing to the LORD, you saints of his; praise his holy name. {5} For his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime; weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning. {6} When I felt secure, I said, "I will never be shaken." {7} O LORD, when you favored me, you made my mountain stand firm; but when you hid your face, I was dismayed. {8} To you, O LORD, I called; to the Lord I cried for mercy: {9} "What gain is there in my destruction, in my going down into the pit? Will the dust praise you? Will it proclaim your faithfulness? {10} Hear, O LORD, and be merciful to me; O LORD, be my help." {11} YOU TURNED MY WAILING INTO DANCING; YOU REMOVED MY SACKCLOTH AND CLOTHED ME WITH JOY, {12} that my heart may sing to you and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give you thanks forever.