Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Presidents and Lord's Day


George Washington in the Revolutionary War, Lincoln in the Civil War and Wilson in the first World War all gave orders relieving troops as far as possible from fatigue duty on Sunday, and giving them opportunity to attend public worship. Hayes and Garfield habitually walked to church that their servants might rest and worship on the Lord's Day. Grant, when at Paris, refused to attend horse races on the Lord's Day.


McKinley, when at the opening of the State Centennial of Tennessee, refused a trip up Lookout Mountain, saying, "No, I do not go sight-seeing on Sunday." Theodore Roosevelt and Coolidge spoke in appreciation of the Lord's Day; the latter said, "I profoundly believe in the Lord's Day." President Truman, fishing on the Columbia River, refused to cast a line on Sunday.

A DIRECT LINE TO GOD

My dad was a very busy man who traveled all over the world. In order to get him at work, you had to go through a switchboard unless you knew the private number, which rang a phone right on his desk. He gave the number to a few select business partners, but all of his children had it. I still know that number: 345-5366. We knew no matter how busy he was, we could call him any time on that direct line.


I have the same thing. The church has graciously provided me with a private line. It rings right on my desk. A few board members and elders have it for emergency purposes. My kids have that number. In order to maximize my time, I have a car phone. Only a few people have that number, but my kids have it. They can call me any time, for anything. You know what? No voices sound sweeter to me than my kids' voices. When one of them says, "Hi, Dad" it won't matter what I'm juggling, because they are an absolute priority.


NOW MULTIPLY THAT OUT EXPONENTIALLY--AND LISTEN TO ME: NO ONE'S VOICE SOUNDS SWEETER TO GOD THAN YOUR VOICE. "HELLO, FATHER." THERE'S NOTHING GOING ON IN THE COSMOS THAT WOULD KEEP HIM FROM DIRECTING HIS FULL ATTENTION TO YOUR CONVERSATION OR YOUR REQUEST.


-- Bill Hybels, "God's Attitude Toward Prayer," Preaching Today, Tape No. 97.

Psalm 4:3;

PSALM 4

David wrote this psalm as he was about to retire for the night (v. 8). He could not do much about the war around him, but he could do something about the war within him. HE DID NOT WANT TO LIE IN BED AND WORRY, SO HE COMMITTED HIMSELF AND HIS SITUATION TO THE LORD.


HE ASKED (v.4 ‑3). ASKING THE LORD FOR HELP IS STILL A GOOD WAY TO DEAL WITH INNER TURMOIL (Phil. 4:6‑7).


HE BELIEVED (4‑5). He faced his anger honestly and GAVE IT TO THE LORD (Eph. 4:26). Instead of lying in bed and thinking about your problems, MEDITATE ON THE LORD AND OFFER HIM SACRIFICES OF PRAISE.


HE RECEIVED (6‑8). In the darkness, he saw the face of God and received light. In his sorrow, he discovered the gift of gladness. In the time of battle, he received peace. God did not immediately change the situation, BUT HE DID CHANGE DAVID; HE CAN DO THE SAME FOR YOU.

With the Word - Warren W. Wiersbe

Thomas Nelson Publishers

Nashville

"Used by permission of Thomas Nelson, Inc."

(Psa 4 NIV) Answer me when I call to you, O my righteous God. Give me relief from my distress; be merciful to me and hear my prayer. {2} How long, O men, will you turn my glory into shame ? How long will you love delusions and seek false gods ?

{3} KNOW THAT THE LORD HAS SET APART THE GODLY FOR HIMSELF; THE LORD WILL HEAR WHEN I CALL TO HIM.

{4} In your anger do not sin; when you are on your beds, search your hearts and be silent. {5} Offer right sacrifices and trust in the LORD. {6} Many are asking, "Who can show us any good?" Let the light of your face shine upon us, O LORD. {7} YOU HAVE FILLED MY HEART WITH GREATER JOY THAN WHEN THEIR GRAIN AND NEW WINE ABOUND. {8} I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety.