Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Psalm 3 - Lincoln Would Have Forgiven Assassin


After Abraham Lincoln's death, Mrs. Lincoln asked John F. Parker, the President's bodyguard, "Why were you not at the door to keep the assassin out?"

Bowing his head Parker said, "Not believing anyone would try to kill so good a man, I became so interested in the play. I did not see the assassin enter the presidential box."

Weeping uncontrollably, Mrs. Lincoln said, "Go now. It's not you I can't forgive. It's the assassin."

Overhearing his mother, Tad Lincoln said, "If Pa had lived, he would have forgiven the man who shot him. Pa forgave everybody."


—Rev. Walter B. Knight


PROMISE FOR TODAY-


6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

Philippians 4:6 (NIV)


PSALM 3

If worry keeps you from getting a good night's sleep, Psalms 3 and 4 are what you need. Both psalms were probably written when David was exiled from Jerusalem because his son Absalom had stolen the kingdom (2 Sam. 15-18).


Psalm 3 is a morning psalm (v. 5), and Psalm 4 is an evening psalm (v. 8).


How was David able to sleep when he was in such danger? The enemy was against him (vv. 1, 6) but David knew that God was for him. God surrounds you (v. 3), sustains you (v. 5), and saves you (v. 7).


When people discourage you (v. 2), God lifts up your head and keeps you going (v. 3).


God never sleeps (Ps. 121:3-4), so why should you stay awake and worry?

With the Word - Warren W. Wiersbe

Thomas Nelson Publishers

Nashville

"Used by permission of Thomas Nelson, Inc."

Psalms 3:1-8 (NIV)
1 O LORD, how many are my foes! How many rise up against me! 2 Many are saying of me, "God will not deliver him." Selah 3 But you are a shield around me, O LORD; you bestow glory on me and lift up my head. 4 To the LORD I cry aloud, and he answers me from his holy hill. Selah 5 I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me. 6 I will not fear the tens of thousands drawn up against me on every side. 7 Arise, O LORD! Deliver me, O my God! Strike all my enemies on the jaw; break the teeth of the wicked. 8 From the LORD comes deliverance. May your blessing be on your people. Selah