Thursday, January 29, 2009

A Promise Is A Promise To Lincoln / Psalm 5


One day, President Abraham Lincoln was riding in a coach with a colonel from Kentucky. The colonel took a bottle of whiskey out of his pocket. He offered Mr. Lincoln a drink. Mr. Lincoln said, "No thank you, Colonel. I never drink whiskey." In a little while, the colonel took some cigars out of his pocket and offered one to Mr. Lincoln. Again Mr. Lincoln said, "No, thank you, Colonel." Then Mr. Lincoln said, "I want to tell you a story."


"One day, when I was about nine years old, my mother called me to her bed. She was very sick. She said, 'Abe, the doctor tells me that I am not going to get well. I want you to be a good boy. I want you to promise me before I go that you will never use whiskey or tobacco as long as you live.' I promised my mother that I never would, and up to this hour, I kept this promise! Would you advise me to break that promise?"


The colonel put his hand on Mr. Lincoln's shoulder and said, "Mr. Lincoln, I would not have you break that promise for the world! It is one of the best promises you ever made. I would give a thousand dollars today if I had made my mother a promise like that and had kept it like you have done. I would be a much better man than I am!"


—Martin M. Hyzer



PSALM 5


When he served in King Saul's court, David was often at­tacked by some of Saul's officers who flattered the king and lied about David (vv. 4‑6, 9). King Saul actually believed that David was trying to steal the throne. WHEN PEOPLE LIE ABOUT YOU, FOLLOW DAVID'S EXAMPLE AND PRAY ABOUT THE MATTER. Note his requests.

HEAR ME (1‑6). DAVID BEGAN THE DAY WITH HIS HEART LIFTED UP TO GOD. God knew the sinful words of the liars, BUT HE ALSO HEARD THE BELIEVING PRAYERS OF HIS SERVANT.


LEAD ME (7‑8). David had to be careful because Saul and his leaders were watching him and his life was in danger HE WORSHIPED GOD AND ASKED FOR GOD'S DAILY DIRECTION.


PROTECT ME (9‑10). David did not fight Saul or Saul's men; HE LEFT THOSE BATTLES TO THE LORD. HE TRUSTED GOD TO CARE FOR HIM, AND GOD DID NOT FAIL.

BLESS ME (11‑12). Protection is the last thing named (v. 12). BEYOND THAT, DAVID WAS BLESSED WITH JOY, CONFIDENCE, AND A DEEPER LOVE FOR THE LORD. TIMES OF SUFFERING CAN BE TIMES OF GROWING IF WE LET THE LORD HAVE HIS WAY.

With the Word - Warren W. Wiersbe

Thomas Nelson Publishers

Nashville

"Used by permission of Thomas Nelson, Inc."

THE MORNING HOUR

The morning is the gate of the day, and it should be well guarded with prayer. It is one end of the thread on which the day's actions are strung, and should be well knotted with devotion. If we felt the majesty of life we should be more careful of its mornings. He who rushes from his bed to his business and waiteth not to worship is as foolish as though he had not put on his clothes, or cleansed his face, and as unwise as though he had dashed into battle without arms or armor. Be it ours to bathe in the softly flowing river of communion with God, before the heat of the wilderness and the burden of the way begins to oppress.

-- Charles Spurgeon


CRUISE CONTROL

A newly retired couple cashed in their stocks and bonds to purchase one of the finest motor homes available on the market. One of the great features was the cruise control. As they were traveling up the West Coast, the husband became tired and asked his wife to drive while he went in the back to take a nap. As she was driving she put the camper on cruise control and it worked perfectly. After an hour of straight highway driving she got up to go to the bathroom. She thought cruise control was the same as automatic pilot, she told the Highway Patrol after the accident. The motor home was totaled in the accident, but neither partner was hurt. It is not only a true story, IT IS AN ILLUSTRATION OF MANY CHRISTIANS WHO HAVE PUT THEIR LIVES ON CRUISE CONTROL AND ARE NOT IN WORSHIP, PRAYER OR BIBLE STUDY. (PSALMS 5:3 )


(Psalms 5 NIV)

Give ear to my words, O LORD, consider my sighing. {2} Listen to my cry for help, my King and my God, for to you I pray. {3} IN THE MORNING, O LORD, YOU HEAR MY VOICE; IN THE MORNING I LAY MY REQUESTS BEFORE YOU AND WAIT IN EXPECTATION. {4} You are not a God who takes pleasure in evil; with you the wicked cannot dwell. {5} The arrogant cannot stand in your presence; you hate all who do wrong. {6} You destroy those who tell lies; bloodthirsty and deceitful men the LORD abhors. {7} But I, by your great mercy, will come into your house; in reverence will I bow down toward your holy temple. {8} Lead me, O LORD, in your righteousness because of my enemies-- make straight your way before me. {9} Not a word from their mouth can be trusted; their heart is filled with destruction. Their throat is an open grave; with their tongue they speak deceit. {10} Declare them guilty, O God! Let their intrigues be their downfall. Banish them for their many sins, for they have rebelled against you. {11} BUT LET ALL WHO TAKE REFUGE IN YOU BE GLAD; LET THEM EVER SING FOR JOY. SPREAD YOUR PROTECTION OVER THEM, THAT THOSE WHO LOVE YOUR NAME MAY REJOICE IN YOU. {12} FOR SURELY, O LORD, YOU BLESS THE RIGHTEOUS; YOU SURROUND THEM WITH YOUR FAVOR AS WITH A SHIELD.