Monday, February 2, 2009

Psalm 6 - Obstacles that Test


Strong faith in God does not come all at once. It is often gained through willing submission to His love and goodness in the midst of trial.


In February 1862, President Lincoln's son Willie died, and his son Tad became seriously ill. A Christian nurse attending the sick child recalled that the President watched by his bedside and often paced, saying, "This is the hardest trial of my life. Why is it? Why is it?"


She told him that she was a widow and that her husband and two children were in heaven. She saw the hand of God in it all and never loved Him so much as she did after her great trials.


"How is that brought about?" inquired Lincoln.


"Simply by trusting in God and knowing that He does all things well," she replied.


"Did you submit fully under the first loss?" he asked. "No," she answered, "not fully. But as blow came upon blow, and all were taken, I could and did submit."


Lincoln replied, "I'm glad to hear you say that -- I will try to go to God with my sorrows." After a few days, she asked him if he could trust God.


He replied, "I think I can. I will try. I wish I had that childlike faith you speak of, and I trust he will give it to me."



PSALM 6


This psalm grew out of an experience of sickness and pain, when David thought he was going to die. Besides that, he had to put up with the attacks of his enemies who wanted him to die. It was a time of deep discouragement for David, BUT HE DID NOT WAVER IN HIS FAITH.

As he prayed, he asked for mercy for his body (vv. 1‑2) and his soul (vv. 3‑5). MERCY MEANS THAT GOD DOES NOT GIVE US WHAT WE DESERVE, AND GRACE MEANS THAT HE GIVES US WHAT WE DO NOT DESERVE. What a loving God He is!


David reminded God of his tears of repentance and confession (vv. 6‑7). His bed should have been a place of rest, but it had become a place of trial as God chastened him.


BUT THERE IS A HAPPY ENDING: David was assured and his enemies were ashamed (vv. 8‑10)! God heard and answered his prayers! WHEN THE NIGHT IS DARK AND LONG, KEEP ON TRUSTING, AND THE DAWN WILL COME IN GOD'S GOOD TIME.

With the Word - Warren W. Wiersbe

Thomas Nelson Publishers

Nashville

"Used by permission of Thomas Nelson, Inc."



(Psa 6 NIV) For the director of music. With stringed instruments. According to sheminith. A psalm of David. O LORD, do not rebuke me in your anger or discipline me in your wrath. {2} Be merciful to me, LORD, for I am faint; O LORD, heal me, for my bones are in agony. {3} My soul is in anguish. How long, O LORD, how long? {4} Turn, O LORD, and deliver me; save me because of your unfailing love. {5} No one remembers you when he is dead. Who praises you from the grave ? {6} I AM WORN OUT FROM GROANING; ALL NIGHT LONG I FLOOD MY BED WITH WEEPING AND DRENCH MY COUCH WITH TEARS. {7} MY EYES GROW WEAK WITH SORROW; THEY FAIL BECAUSE OF ALL MY FOES. {8} AWAY FROM ME, ALL YOU WHO DO EVIL, FOR THE LORD HAS HEARD MY WEEPING. {9} THE LORD HAS HEARD MY CRY FOR MERCY; THE LORD ACCEPTS MY PRAYER. {10} All my enemies will be ashamed and dismayed; they will turn back in sudden disgrace.