Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Psalm 13


HOPELESSNESS

During the football season, the college bookstore at Iowa State puts a big sign in the window saying "Kill Kansas" or "Whip Washington" or something like that, depending on the name of the upcoming foe. In 1983, just before Iowa State was devastated 72-29 by the nation's top-ranked team, the wording was altered a bit. The sign read: "MAINTAIN DIGNITY AGAINST NEBRASKA."


Psalms 13:4*


PSALM 13


ASKING
(1‑2). FOUR TIMES DAVID ASKED, "HOW LONG?" He had prayed, but God had hidden Himself and not answered. David had examined his heart and knew of no reason why God should abandon him. The longer God waited, the more the en­emy would succeed. WHEN YOU HAVE THIS SAME FEELING, DO WHAT DAVID DID AND TALK TO GOD WITH AN HONEST AND HUMBLE HEART.

ARGUING (3‑4). Would God be glorified by David's defeat? Would God's cause be helped by David's death? Should the enemy rejoice while God's people suffer? DAVID REASONED WITH GOD BUT DID NOT TRY TO TELL GOD WHAT TO DO. SOMETIMES PRAYER MEANS WRESTLING.


AFFIRMING (5‑6). FAITH DOES NOT ALWAYS GIVE ANSWERS, BUT IT DOES GIVE ENCOURAGEMENT. No matter how successful the enemy appears to be, YOU CAN TRUST THE LORD, REJOICE IN THE LORD, SING TO THE LORD AND KNOW THAT HE WILL ALWAYS DEAL BOUNTIFULLY WITH YOU.


With the Word - Warren W. Wiersbe

Thomas Nelson Publishers

Nashville

"Used by permission of Thomas Nelson, Inc."



(Psalms 13 NIV)

How long, O LORD? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me? {2} How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and every day have sorrow in my heart? How long will my enemy triumph over me? {3} Look on me and answer, O LORD my God. Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death;


{4} MY ENEMY WILL SAY, "I HAVE OVERCOME HIM," AND MY FOES WILL REJOICE WHEN I FALL.*

{5} BUT I TRUST IN YOUR UNFAILING LOVE; MY HEART REJOICES IN YOUR SALVATION. {6} I WILL SING TO THE LORD, FOR HE HAS BEEN GOOD TO ME.