Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Psalm 7 - Lincoln In Welfare's Hands


Former Governor Henry J. Allen of Kansas made a statement that makes such good sense that it should be more widely disseminated. Said the Governor:


"Had Abraham Lincoln been living today, the Rotary Club would supply him with a set of books; the Lions Club with a good reading lamp; the Cosmopolitan Club with writing equipment; and the Kiwanis Club with a wooden terrazzo for the cabin."


"He would have the protection of child labor insurance. A kindly philanthropist would send him to college with a scholarship." "Incidentally, a case worker would see that his father received a monthly check from the country. He would receive a subsidy for rail-splitting, another one for raising a crop he was going to raise any way, and still another subsidy for not raising a crop he had no intention of raising.


"Result: There would have been no Abraham Lincoln!"


PSALM 7


We do not know what Cush said about David, but apparently he was one of the "court liars" who flattered Saul and made life difficult for David (1 Sam. 24:9). When you have a "Cush" in your life, do what David did.

BE HONEST WITH GOD (1 ‑5). David did not say that the enemy was telling the truth, but he was willing for God to examine him and punish him. He had nothing to hide.

LET GOD BE THE JUDGE (6‑13). IT IS WISE TO LET GOD BE THE JUDGE BECAUSE HIS JUDGMENT IS ALWAYS RIGHT (1 Cor. 4:3‑5). We do not see ourselves and others as He sees, so it is best to turn the matter over to Him. David was careful to maintain his integrity (v. 8) and let God be his defense (v.10).

WAIT ON THE LORD (14‑16). Sin has a way of bringing its own punishment if we wait long enough. It is like giving birth to pain and trouble (v. 14; James 1:14‑15), falling into a pit (v. 15), or getting back the trouble that they tried to impose on others (v. 16).

GIVE GOD THANKS (v. 17). What does it matter that men slander us, so long as the righteousness of God prevails and the name of the Lord is glorified!

With the Word - Warren W. Wiersbe

Thomas Nelson Publishers

Nashville

"Used by permission of Thomas Nelson, Inc."


(Psalms 7 NIV)


O LORD my God, I take refuge in you; save and deliver me from all who pursue me, {2} or they will tear me like a lion and rip me to pieces with no one to rescue me. {3} O LORD my God, if I have done this and there is guilt on my hands-- {4} if I have done evil to him who is at peace with me or without cause have robbed my foe-- {5} then let my enemy pursue and overtake me; let him trample my life to the ground and make me sleep in the dust. Selah {6} Arise, O LORD, in your anger; rise up against the rage of my enemies. Awake, my God; decree justice. {7} Let the assembled peoples gather around you. Rule over them from on high; {8} let the LORD judge the peoples. Judge me, O LORD, according to my righteousness, according to my integrity, O Most High. {9} O righteous God, who searches minds and hearts, bring to an end the violence of the wicked and make the righteous secure. {10} My shield is God Most High, who saves the upright in heart. {11} GOD IS A RIGHTEOUS JUDGE, a God who expresses his wrath every day. {12} If he does not relent, he will sharpen his sword; he will bend and string his bow. {13} He has prepared his deadly weapons; he makes ready his flaming arrows. {14} He who is pregnant with evil and conceives trouble gives birth to disillusionment. {15} He who digs a hole and scoops it out falls into the pit he has made. {16} The trouble he causes recoils on himself; his violence comes down on his own head. {17} I WILL GIVE THANKS TO THE LORD BECAUSE OF HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS AND WILL SING PRAISE TO THE NAME OF THE LORD MOST HIGH.